The Birth of the Popsicle!
Pop on over, and let’s get Foodimentary!
Here are today’s five thing to know about Cherry Popsicle
- In 1905 in San Francisco, 11-year-old Frank Epperson was mixing a white powdered flavoring for soda and water out on the porch
- He left it there, with a stirring stick still in it.
- That night, temperatures reached a record low, and the next morning, the boy discovered the drink had frozen to the stick, inspiring the idea of a fruit-flavored ‘Popsicle’, a portmanteau of soda pop and icicle.
- Eighteen years later in 1923, Epperson introduced frozen pop on a stick to the public at Neptune Beach, an amusement park in Belmar, New Jersey. Seeing that it was a success, in 1924 Epperson applied for a patent for his “frozen confectionery” which he called “the Epsicle ice pop”.
- He renamed it to Popsicle, allegedly at the insistence of his children.
View original post 123 more words